The Love of Our Lives...

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, February 7, 2009

THE BIRD...

Back by popular demand is the finale to the bird story (click HERE to read part one of the story)...

Background info in case you don't want to read " Part 1": In Lieu of the Christmas season, Robin (being the decorative type that she is) decided to make a Christmas wreath. But this was no ordinary, store-bought, run of the mill wreath. We scoured the rows of Hobby Lobby until every last perfect bead, stick and leaf were found. So, after purchasing all the materials Robin put it together one night. (Time passes)...Late one night, Robin and I were coming home from a friend's house. We were exhausted and ready for bed before we even hit the door. As I approached the front door to unlock it, something small and bat-like flew out of the wreath. Scared us (moreso me) to death. I think I might have even peed myself a little. Then a couple days later we had another few run-ins with this territorial little creature. Every time we came to the front door, I would always give the wreath a little shake and sure enough, the bird would fly out. 

Well, there was this one night...it was about 8pm and I had just come back from the grocery store. My arms were full of bags and my legs were extremely tired after fighting crowds and then climbing the stairs to our 3rd floor apartment. I had ONE thing on my mind, "Get in the door and get these groceries out of my hands". So I unlock the door and open it...I forget about the stupid bird. So in the darkness, I stumble in the house, the bird follows me in and I drop the groceries. At this point, I have no idea where my wing-ed friend is and I am not happy. Every time I move, I can feel it flutter around me and finally I find the light switch. As I turn it on, the bird goes nuts, like it's at rave in some downtown warehouse. I call Robin and she is mortified/laughing at me while asking "where is the bird?" I don't know. She comes home and eventually we find the bird...see pictures below.



Many people have asked "what happened to the bird after you found him?" Well the story ends in three easy steps: 1. We cornered the bird in our guest room, 2. I hit him with a broom, knocking it to the ground 3. I released the bird into the wild on the balcony. Ok, the last step is a lie. I accidentally killed the bird in the guest room as I was trying to wrangle him in. And then, I gently tossed him over the balcony. I really am an animal lover... but only when I invite them to live in my house.

Enjoy the holidays,

Blake

1 comment:

Randy Olive said...

thank you so much for posting this - i love it so much!! i read this to my mom last night and she died laughing! I LOVE THE JACKSONS - and obviously that little bird did too!! HAHA!