The Love of Our Lives...

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Conquering fears...

Alright, I have a confession to make... I have a crazy fear of speaking in front of people! :( I know it sounds funny coming from someone who is so outgoing and loves to talk so much. lol. It has honestly made me real uncomfortable and almost afraid of leading worship by myself. I had gotten real comfortable hiding behind Blake or Donald and loved just being in the background. When I have to say anything to intro a song or set up communion or anything that involves me talking, I freak out! I tend to stutter, get crazy nauseous, loose my train of thinking and sometimes just stall out (no words come out of my mouth). I avoid it and beg to just sing and not have to talk. Anyways, this past weekend, I didn't have a choice, Donald was out of town and Blake now leads worship for our Student ministry, so no one was there to rescue me from talking. :( 

I was forced to overcome my fears and learn a new lesson in faith and truly figure out where my strength comes from and who I am depending on... God or me? It was a huge pivotal moment for me and I thank God for the lesson He taught me this past weekend. He gave me the strength and peace to make it through and by the end of the weekend, I even felt comfortable with the task at hand! :)

I learned that God knows what He is doing! Even though that sounds so basic, it's a huge concept to remind yourself of daily! We simply have to lean on that and rest on that truth. From now on "when I am afraid, I will put my trust in Christ" (Psalm 56:3). When I feel fearful, I will try to convert that to trust and put my trust in God and calmly move forward, knowing that He will carry me through. That is what Jesus, my always perfect example and pattern, did. (Daily With the King)

"Then my enemies will turn back into the day when I call; this I know, that God is for me... In God I have put my trust, I shall not be afraid" (Psalm 56:9,11).

I want to hear from you now... What is your biggest fear and how do you deal with it or overcome it?

The gang/ my band from the weekend... they are AWESOME! :)

Alex- Acoustic, Andrew S- Keys, Andrew G- Electric, Samantha- BGVs, KyLeigh- BGVs, Me, Albert- Bass & Chris- Drums

2 comments:

sherry said...

and you did a wonderful job, I might add :) I knew you could do it!!!

Ashley McWhorter said...

Ohhhhh....I have NOT conquered that fear, yet. Don't know if I ever will. I'll leave that one for Conn. :)